Click the appropriate link below, which takes you to the Audacity software download. Only these links, and the automatic download, are authorized versions of Audacity. Disable any automatic download managers if the download is incorrect.
- Audacity 2.1.2 .dmg file (33.1 MB, includes help files)
- Audacity 2.1.2 .zip file (13.2 MB, smaller, but no help files)
- Double-click the downloaded DMG to mount it.
- Do not double-click the “Audacity” folder in the DMG window. Drag the entire “Audacity” folder icon to the /Applications folder icon on the right (or to any other location of your choosing).
- Eject the DMG at bottom left of Finder, then launch Audacity.app from the “Audacity” folder in /Applications or from your chosen location.
***PLEASE NOTE: Security settings on OS X 10.7 or later may block Audacity being launched. Most users on OS X 10.9.5 and later will experience this, due to changes made by Apple. To permanently enable Audacity launch, right-click or control-click on the Audacity application in Finder, choose "Open", then in the dialog box that appears, choose "Open".
Alternative Download Links
If you have trouble with your download, or need an older version of Audacity, try:
- Audacity: View all current and old versions of Audacity on their official site.
Google Code: View old versions of Audacity
Audacity for Mac is a Universal Binary for OS X 10.5 to 10.10.x. Audacity runs best with at least 1 GB RAM and a 1 GHz processor (2 GB RAM/2 GHz on OS X 10.7 or later). For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz processor (4 GB RAM on OS X 10.7 or later).